Saturday, July 24, 2010

Confident, but not really sure.

I recently read this thought-prodding article from Harvard Business Review.

It is part of a blog series that I am following call 12 Things Good Bosses Believe. This particular entry rings pretty true to my experience with Dash & Cooper over the last few months and my life experience since starting my senior year in high school: we all live in uncertainty, which becomes somewhat more certain as time goes on. In my personal experience, mainly in football and entrepreneurship, you don't have very long to try to analyze all the details and different contingencies before you make a decision. You have to make decisions with what you know and what senses you have about where you are going. And then be ready to change your mind.

In the article, the author details a small excerpt from an interview with Andy Grove, longtime CEO of Intel. Something so simple about dealing with complexity that it shifts the way you think a little:

None of us have a real understanding of where we are heading. I don't. I have senses about it. But decisions don't wait, investment decisions or personal decisions and prioritization don't wait, for that picture to be clarified. You have to make them when you have to make them. So you take your shots and clean up the bad ones later. I think it is very important for you to do two things: act on your temporary conviction as if it was a real conviction; and when you realize that you are wrong, correct course very quickly.

Think about it. Read the article. Give me some feedback as to how this applies to your life.

No comments: